Let me make a suggestion (especially for you, kwii):

I really think we should begin to seriously talk about major changes
in the UI look a year before the release that will bring it, and I
think that we should be doing what we are doing right now six months
ago. Well, nobody could see all these problems coming, so it's natural
that right now we have a very little time scale to do all the things
we want to do - that's nobody fault. But we should learn from our
mistakes, and for the next big change, I STRONGLY SUGGEST that the UDS
talk really seriously about the major look changes two releases early
- that is, a year before. This also opens the space to the UDS discuss
it two times, one in the beginning and another in the middle of the
process, so that mistakes can be corrected without hurry.

For now, I agree with Who - we probably can't have a dark theme this
time around and have the polish an LTS release needs. This is our
oportunitty to make things right (IMHO!) and put Ubuntu in the top
with a beautiful new look - if we don't do that REALLY well, I think
it could be a real big problem...

T.