That's actually the way clearlooks comes out of the box.  I just adjusted the
color inside the engine to highlight the apps/places/system with the normal bg
color instead of orange.

I wonder if the engine could draw the tab/menu combo as one widget and compiz
would recognize it and draw the shadow the way we want?

Looking at the potential dropdown problem of one item flowing into the next,
plus the shadow at the same intersection, why not go the opposite
direction?Where the music selection has the solid orange highlight, why not
copy it onto the places button? That way the highlight has continuity with the
button, and it eliminates both the shadow and the border issue. So really, just
make places the solid orange too. Amazing work! -- Ken V