I have too agree - one step at a time - could have benefits on long terms.

I'll write you personally, not here, about how I see the long term goals
for Gnome UI (I'm thinking from some time to this subject and his many
faces - not just theming - but modifying UI structure).

As always the big problem is time - I hope to have some free time right
after Hardy launch - to hack into code - being already PHP /
Actionscript / Javascript coder for some years - I have just to start
now on C/C++/Python/Vala.