Philosophically it certainly makes sense.

More difficult is the question of how exactly it would work. (RED) works
by allocating a portion of sales revenue to the charity. With Ubuntu
being free, does that mean Canonical would need to donate a percentage
of their services revenue? Would Canonical agree to such a thing?

-Sumit