To 'rephrase' and add some of my own thoughts:

-ISSUE - theme not eye-pleasing enough
        -IDEA - create aeshetically-pleasing theme
                -CON - idea too vague
        -IDEA - large-area UI elements should be color-neutral. This would
put greater visual importance and weight on application *content*
rather than the application/desktop UI
                -ISSUE - UI controls such as scrollbars, max/min/close/etc can
get
visually 'lost'
                        IDEA - keep main theme elements such as
dialogue/application
backgrounds, menubars, and possibly titlebars color-neutral, but give
scrollbars and buttons strong colors (Ubuntu colors? Orange?) so that
they visually stand-out.
-IDEA - theme must clearly represent Ubuntu spirit
        -ISSUE - we need to better define 'Ubuntu spirit' visually. First,
what does 'Ubuntu spirit' even mean? A sense of compassion? A sense of
ease? What are generally-accepted techniques for visually representing
these ideas? Does it mean warm colors? Does it mean a satin-look?

Is anyone up for building up an Ubuntu-art wiki around this type of
ISSUE/IDEA/PRO/CON organization? Should be easy to use in the existing
wiki.

-Sumit