Nick Russell wrote:
> I've updated the original mockups on the wiki
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid/Newsplash> to address
> concerns/criticisms and I've added a few new ideas and variations on old
> ones. I've also started a forum thread to gauge community interest in a
> new usplash <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4971501>

While I can appreciate your want to change a certain aspect of Ubuntu, I
would ask if you think a traditional development-centric component based
design works for overall aesthetic impact?

That is, your design clearly moves toward a given presentation.  Does
that presentation work in the 'bigger picture'?  Is there an overarching
style that it fits in with?  Etc.

Worse, voting is death, especially on something of this nature.

If you would like to have a very real world example, go about your house
with a digital camera.  Photograph small studies of say -- door handles,
a chair, a type of hard wood flooring.

Now pick any one and put it up for a vote.  In the end, the vote is
meaningless as it doesn't give you a true and accurate evaluation as to
how all of the pieces are going to work together in the total design.

Two pennies...
TJS

PS:  If you want further insight into some of these ideas, I would
encourage you to examine the terms Gesamtkunstwerk (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gesamtkunstwerk ) or Coccinity (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concinnity ).