I don't think many people haven't seen that. It's a very popular mockup ;)

I am not at all convinced on the idea of docks with big icons being
the be-all end-all of pretty interface design. In fact, I think it is
an absolutely bizarre and stupid metaphor better replaced by an
application list (instead of window list). The dock does replace the
notification area for "iconifying" processes, but is visually
confusing; there is not much to say "this program is running" and even
less to help the user find said running program in a well populated
dock.

One detail I rather like there, however, is the more visual
NetworkManager applet. Right now, it has the same serious usability
problem as Apple's and Microsoft's: People do not notice it. Nowhere
does it actually explain being for wireless network connections until
someone drags his mouse over it or clicks on it. Since it takes up so
little of the screen, the chances of that being discovered by someone
who does not recognize the icon are very, very small.

NM 0.7 is much more verbose than the older ones, using libnotify to
make status known, which should help discoverability. (I don't
remember if it does or not, but "wireless networks are available..."
would be a useful message for it to display once, then never display
again). It would be extremely cool if there was a little label beside
the NM applet describing its current connection. That, however, is
again not art territory.

In a more mockup-related thought, I like the different panel
backgrounds there. It gives a much more expressive shading effect that
could be useful to split up the two different types of panel applets.
(Those being the applets to execute things on the top, applets to
switch between and observe things on the bottom).

I, too, have always been a fan of the soft, sandy brown seen on the
wallpaper and bottom panel.