On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 5:29 PM, George Kendros
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm new to this list, but I was just wondering what consideration was being
> given to different theme engines and if any development is being put into a
> specific theme engine?
>
> I was just wondering because I was looking at the official page of the
> Nodoka engine and was pretty impressed with the direction it was taking.
> Here is a link to the page;
> https://fedorahosted.org/nodoka/wiki/0.8.x_Brainstorm . Of specific interest
> is the 'Modern' screenshot. I think a theme based on that engine (when that
> engine comes to fruition) could be really great.

Complete, new, well maintained theme engines that are packaged for
Ubuntu are not common. The problem with making a theme that relies on
a newer engine is likely to be finding a maintainer for the code and
someone to keep the new engine in Universe and up-to-date. For this
reason there are people on this list that would encourage you to
either:

 - Be the maintainer of the theme in Ubuntu if you want to use it -
this involves managing bugreports, etc
 - Use a theme for which there is already a maintainer
 - ask the designers of the new engine if they want to maintain it in
Ubuntu (obviously, to them the news that someone wants to make a great
theme based on it that would also be packaged in Universe or even Main
could be a big incentive here...)

In the case of Nodoka I don't know whether there is already someone
pushing this into Ubuntu - sorry.

There are people on this list that know more about this than I do, but
I understand that (at least when Nodoka was first released) it was
largely based on Murrine (which _will_ be packaged for Int. Ib. ) and
that you could achieve the same look with both. This looks like it
might no longer be true... I dunno... Andrea Cimitan, who develops
Murrine might be able to answer to this part.

Does that help?

Who