On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 2008/8/14 Who <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> Hi all,
>> (summary: check out
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incubator/SecretGarden and give me
>> some feedback, if you like :)

snip

>> If you like the ideas then get drawing, put up some sketches or
>> mockups :) At this stage I would suggest anyone contributing to this
>> theme do quite quick work not really precise stuff, but because that's
>> likely to be a waste of time as the end result might be quite
>> different from the ideas on the page right now. I don't want anyone
>> feeling like they wasted their time :)
>
> I like the general idea of the computer coming to life. And using the
> plant metaphor.
>
> Some comments:
>
>  - Is the intent to have the final artwork in the same simple lines
> and color spectrum as the mockups? I can not fully extract your
> intentions here...

I don't _really_ have intentions at this stage. :P

As I noted on the wiki page - there's an obvious tension between the
simple lines and colour spectrum and the face that I used a
edgy-vintage logo of mine... They don't go well together but I
couldn't really find a way to love a simple logo either...

In my sketches the plant forms tended to have to be a bit more complex
- not much more, but specifically they look wrong if they are 'top
heavy' - so they need to have a thicker 'trunk'

I did some really quick tests with green fronds after emailing - which
I think has some promise - I'll put that up soon

I _do_ like the simple colours, though - one of the inspirations
behind this theme are wrought iron gates like
http://www.royal.gov.uk/files/images/Insight_Feb2004_Focus_DOGGates_large.jpg

>  - Watch out for a tentacle-like feel...

Indeed. I think leaves and more 'fracticality' should help - other suggestions?

>  - I like the black with the orange bar best. It is somehow more in
> line with the standard ubuntu artwork.

I'm not aiming at default here - does that change your mind? Or do you
just mean something like "better matches Ubuntu's identity'?

>  - Second best would be the white with the thin orange bar. Simpler in
> composition than my prefered one, but bordering on just way to simple,
> but maybe with a bit of subtle details it could shine. The danger in
> this one is going to Mac-style.

Danger!? :P

>  - Maybe a synthesis of the two I mention above. Grayish/Cream
> gradient as background, thin orange bar...
>
>  - About the technical sides of usplash I suggest you contact Troy (I
> am not sure he's on this mailing list anymore). He has done some
> pretty interesting thing for Mythbuntu.

Thanks :) I sent him the original email at the same time - haven't
heard back yet :)

> Cheers,

Thanks for the helpful feedback!

Who