On Wednesday 03 September 2008 00:10:32 Mr.doob wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Cory K. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Ken Vermette wrote:
> >> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Kenneth Wimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     On Tuesday 02 September 2008 18:18:41 Ken Vermette wrote:
> >>     > I liked Antons folder icons, so I've tooled my own to look more
> >>
> >>     like his,
> >>
> >>     > attached is yet another revision of the folders, with more minute
> >>     > detailing. Also, this one has closed folders...
> >>     >
> >>     > http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/raraken/example_mk3.png
> >>
> >>     Could you add a smaller version (something like 22x22)? It goes a
> >>     long way to
> >>     understanding the lines and dithering problems which can occur.
> >>

> >> 22x22 us up! I had to post on Deviantart, I don't want to compress
> >> these images.
> >>
> >> http://raraken.deviantart.com/art/Ubuntu-Folder-Concept-mk5-96838710
> >>
> >> added examples of...
> >>  - 22x22
> >>  - dark outlines
> >>  - emblems
> >>
> >> and fixed a positioning problem that caused fuzzy borders.
> >
> > Kick ass! IMHO :P
> >
> > -Cory K.
> >
> > --
>
> I agree. Although I don't know which one is better (dark outline or not).
> Dark outline makes the small version easy to identify. But doesn't
> look too cool on the big icon.
> Maybe, having a bit of outline when small, but not that dark?

Exactly right. Even with photorealistic icons (or semi-realistic) the small
versions need a small line around them (perhaps not totally opaque) to help
define the form and outer lines. Note that this is only necessary on the
small versions.

In addition I would suggest increasing the brightness and/or decreasing the
contrast a bit on the smaller versions.

--
Ken