On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 16:39 +0200, SG wrote:
> Added some shiny trashcan to submission, I don't know if it is ultra
> realistic enough though.

It is not, yet. But a good start, making me optimistic that you could
get there.

To my eyes, all the grey bins have the problem of looking like a b/w
photo. This could be solved by giving them just a little color-shift and
variation. More saturation where the main light would hit the object,
and maybe a subtle touch of blue where it would be mainly lit by ambient
light.

The number one problem with yours, is the perspective on the bottom part
and a shadow that seems detached. To get the bottom ellipsis right, you
might want to set a vanishing point to construct an in-perspective
rectangle as guide down there.
http://www.math.utah.edu/~treiberg/Perspect/Alberti.GIF

For more on perspective and ellipses:
http://www.khulsey.com/perspective_ellipse.html

Though to be a real object, the bottom edge of the bin needs to be
rounded. Not just for aesthetic reasons, but for production:
- to make removing the object from the mold easier
- to avoid a strong variation in thickness, as that can lead to cracks
on cooling.
- to avoid sharp edges, as any attempt at them will lead to unsightly
results.

It would have a recessed base to stand on.

Thank you for your submission!

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: