2008/12/22 Kenneth Wimer <kw...@ubuntu.com>:
> Wouldn't it be nice to offer a wallpaper for the Jaunty alphas? People working
> on a test system would immediately know it and it might spur interest as well
> (or rants, etc).

+1

I know that for myself I sometimes plod along with the development
version of Ubuntu not really knowing where we are with alpha/betas
because my system is always being updated. Perhaps some text on the
backdrop in the corner - in the same way you see the build number of a
Windows pre-release system, as well as having a nice funky image to
talk about / oggle at?

> In addition, there is an app that needs an icon :-) The hardware and software
> testing app/suite needs a panel icon so that a user can intiate a test. At
> this point there aren't any really good ideas for the metaphor (a computer
> with a check on it was the latest and not so greatest idea) so feel free to
> innovate and suggest something different :-) As it is shown in the panel and
> the menu it needs to work well at small sizes.

In my dayjob the icon in the SAP system for test is a micrometer
measuring something [0] - which actually looks more like a winzip
clamp icon to me.

Other suggestions from around the office include "gears/cogs" of some
kind - wihch I know in GNOME is already used for launchers on the
panel. Alternatively some kind of medical testing - taking the
metaphor too far - test tubes or flasks.

Cheers,
Al.

[0]
http://gallery.popey.com/gallery/v/screengrabs/icons.bmp.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1