On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 12:55 -0600, Ryan Prior wrote:

> My suggestion for Kyudo, based on your email, would be to write a page
> on this -- suggestions. Have concrete examples of good, reasoned
> suggestions and unacceptable (as in, unlikely to be of use to the
> artist) suggestions. Give the reasons for giving reasons, and explain
> how this fits into the whole of Kyudo.

Hmm. I really thought I had that covered reasonably well with
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/KyudoGuidelines/Mindset#Education%20and%
20Competency
and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/KyudoGuidelines/Mindset#Discussing
Artwork

At some point I much prefer to work on art myself instead of writing.
It's on the wiki for a reason.

> There's lots of very vague ideas, like working towards an "optimal
> presentation" (coming from a science background, this sounds absurd on
> its face -- presentation is by its nature highly subjective and thus
> cannot be optimal -- but I think I understand what you're getting at)
> and considering the meaning of Ubuntu and having all pieces working
> together in harmony.

A quick check confirms that I'm not alone with defining "optimal" as the
best achievable goal. I use that term only to be able to define the goal
in one sentence, to immediately follow up with expanding on what optimal
shall mean in this context.

Maybe the problem is that you think of optimal for a person, whereas
what I mean is optimal for the project Ubuntu?

> I've read all that sort of thing before: you can find it in the
> preface of any good book on management or event planning. The
> difference between Kyudo and an actual plan or useful resource is that
> the latter follows the "big ideas" with lots of specific details that
> participants can consider in order to make the operation run more
> smoothly.

I'm not going to write a book. Obviously no one else either, on this
topic. I simply cannot deliver what you seem to want. It seems mean to
me that you imply Kyūdō would be useless, because of it being "vague",
when things are even more vague without it.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/