On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 06:54 +0000, Jonathan Blackhall wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but I don't quite "get" the circles.  What do
> they tell
> me about their purpose?  If I didn't already know what the 3 buttons
> at the
> top right of the screen did, I wouldn't know what these buttons do.
> Isn't
> the purpose of the buttons to be at least loosely descriptive of what
> the
> user can expect when they press them?  I'm also not familiar with OS
> X, so I
> have the same trouble with their red, yellow and green.
>
> I'm not normally a fan of the "Ubuntu should not try to be like OS X"
> argument, but I think in this case it's relevant.  Why are you trying
> mimic what I'd consider to be a poor design choice?

Jonathan,

Thank you for the question. The desire to use circles for frame control
widgets is not from OSX. The symbolism comes from the Ubuntu logo. As
the Impression theme design is based on Ubuntu, IMO it makes sense.

As the widgets are small it is difficult to craft icons which display
detail. However, if you hover your mouse over the widget a description
is display which should novice users.

John