On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 19:48 -0700, Smartboy wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Cory K. <coryis...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > We are a listless bunch. Very little direction and nothing to hold us
> > together. (sorry to be critical. I think we need more of it)
> >
> > I was rolling around the idea of an art council to set rules and
> > guidelines. Define what we are and what we hope to achieve. A 4 member
> > group or so.
> >
> > But besides that, what would it do?
> >
> > Hell, I even question if this "team" of ours should be open and is a
> > moderated team of old-timers and knowledgeable folks something we should
> > have? All very tricky. Should anyone be on the art team? Might hurt
> > somebody's feelings but I often wonder "How are you and why is your
> > opinion important?" Now this is not something I think of when someone
> > takes the time to detail out *why* they have their opinion. It's the
> > crazy 1-liners like "That's ugly." or "I don't like brown." So!? Ok. Bit
> > of a rant that one. :P
> >
> > So who are we? What's our future?
> >
> > I'm just kinda throwing this out there. Maybe I'm nuts.
> >

> > -Cory K.
> >
> > --
> >

> Well, a page to define what we are not might be nice. IE, a page that
> explains that we do not develop for the default Ubuntu artwork (that
> is Canonical's art team's job), but for the community package.

>From https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork:

== About the Artwork Team ==
The goal of the "Artwork Team" is to produce artwork for the community
side of Ubuntu.

The Artwork Team aims to enrich Ubuntu by designing high quality,
original and beautiful themes to be available in the repo as an
*alternative* to the default look.

> I think
> that giving the impression that the 'team' (if you would call it that)
> was open is actually in line with Ubuntu's philosophy, rather than it
> giving the impression that you have to be some Picasso in order to
> join the team. Yes, we do get the bad, but what is the good without
> the bad?

I think we could have avoided a lot of hot air if we had a single
moderated or outright closed list from the start. Where people are only
granted membership after showing that they know what they will talk
about by submitting artwork that is deemed to be of reasonable quality.
Judged by the current members.

It would be great if we could have a way of helping people to improve
their skills, even starting from an outright beginner level. Another
kind of being open to everyone.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: