On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Mark Curtis <merkin...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I deliberately didn't do perspective because I didn't want it to look too
> much like the Mac OS X version. I was thinking of highlights and/or outline,
> where is the svg for the icon stored as that was a quick mockup from the
> png.
> Look at the Wikipedia article on Microsoft Word to see the icon for Mac OS X
> (as well as Windows for 2007 and 2010)
>
>> Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 14:09:45 -0800
>> From: euxn...@gmail.com
>> To: ubuntu-art@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-art] .doc, .xls, etc icons in Humanity Update
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Merk <merkin...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > So I see a lot of nice changes with the humanity icon update.  However
>> > the
>> > icons for .doc, .xls etc are really bothersome.
>> > The icons are blatantly ripped off the OSX version of Office. Why?
>> > I can understand having a W be pronounced in the icon for .doc like all
>> > versions of word, but why make the W exactly like that in the OSX
>> > version?
>> > Most people coming to Ubuntu would be coming from Windows if anything.
>> >
>> > I removed the Mac OS X Word W and replaced it simply with the Ubuntu
>> > Title
>> > Font and already find it an improvement
>> > http://old.nabble.com/file/p27613841/humanity.png Current Humanity .doc
>> > file
>> > http://old.nabble.com/file/p27613841/humanity2.png Slight change to
>> > Humanity
>> > .doc file
>> > --
>> >

>> I like it, but I think a little bit of perspective and some highlights
>> to match the W of the previous version would make it that much better.
>>
>> --

I found the icon in the elementary icons set, which you should be able
to download from launchpad.
https://edge.launchpad.net/~elementaryart/+archive/ppa/+packages

The icons are called things like "application-msword.svg" and
"application-vnd-ms-excel.svg".  Perspective may not be needed  -
also, if anyone knows how to transform perspective with inkscape,
please let me know, but I think the gradient used in the original plus
a shadow as per the original may be necessary :) Look at the attached
to see what I mean (i'm currently on a mac so I don't have the ubuntu
font and this is just a quick sketch up anyway).

You should also consider whether this implies "microsoft word" to your
average user.

-Chris