Smashing Magazine has an excellent article (as usual) called Most
Common Mistakes in Screencasting:
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/12/09/most-common-mistakes-in-screencasting/

Probably as good a time as any to kick off a discussion about
screencasts in Ubuntu. I find they are generally pretty low quality.
They work, and it's awesome that people make them in the first place,
but they aren't as nice to watch (or, therefore, as useful) as they
could be. There are probably many ways we can help people improve
them. Doing so could bring wonderful things for Ubuntu's brand and
user experience.
Any opinions on what the problems are and how / if they can be solved?
Are there any current efforts in that territory?

[large heap of babbling was here; removed because I'm interested in
what others think!]

:)

Dylan