> > Regarding the initial topic, I think it's insane to have one pool for
> > photos and illustrations alike. They cannot be judged in the same way
> > nor compared;
> > it's like comparing meters and kilograms.
>
> I don't think comparing illustrations to photos is more problematic than
> comparing landscape and macro photography ;)

Skipping this whole discussion of wiki-fu,, which I have no opinions in;
I respectfully disagree, when comparing 2 types of photos the skillset to
look for quite similar. Skill of photographer, framing, interestingness of
subject matter etc... With illustrations its a similar skillset, but the
values placed on certain items are different.

Exactly for this reason the submissions should be in the pool, where the
> jury will see them in any case.

Not to mince my words here, but the jury is a bunch of philandering
photographers, and not likely to select any illustration wallpapers. They
have no way of tapping into the breadth of experience which lets them choose
macro shots of flowers and rope for every release.

If we are to have illustration wallpapers, let me throw this up: lets make a
smaller pool of illustrative artwork, and yes, moderate it ourselves. But at
the end of this cycle lets put up a community-illustration-wallpapers
package out on the repos. This has the added benefit of testing:
1. seeing how many quality submissions there are.
1.1 this may mean (collective groaning) looking through DA group. and
convincing those artists to contribute.
2. seeing if official ubuntu is interested.
2.1 if yes, then they can take over moderating the next cycle
2.2 if no, then the least they can do is throw up a blog post (3.1)
3. seeing if we as a team can get enough people to actually install our
packages.
3.1 whether we can drum up some publicity for this package
4. if it all goes down the crapper, then we are left with a few good
submissions for the community wallpaper package.

Cons:
1.It's work that may ultimately produce nothing
2. (click the reply button, I know you all have some things.)
--
Saleel