> Turned it into Python to make the h,v,f,o flags available and added you
> to AUTHORS. Included with v0.4:
>
> http://thorwil.wordpress.com/2011/01/23/backtestground-0-4-context-extraction-automated/

Thanks! I'm glad to work on something meaningful.
I've googled for a way to do this in KDE 4 and found none. It used to be
done via dcop in KDE3, but it's gone in KDE4 and looks like there's still no
replacement for it. Proof link:
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?p=86449&sid=5fb9da0115274b7f46806e3fb8f8ac6f#p86449

Though, even better than all of this would be a low level approach that gets
> the code responsible to draw all the stuff seen on top of the background to
> do so for various resolutions and to save that in image files right away.

I doubt it's possible, but there's a way to switch between screen
resolutions from the command line, so we can take screenshots of the real
context in that resolution. We can even set higher resolutions than the
monitor supports. It doesn't work with Nvidia proprietary driver, but works
fine with everything else. Probably you can reuse large pieces of code from
this script:
http://gtk-apps.org/content/show.php/newrez+-+Screen+resolution+with+scaling?content=134686

Respectfully,
--