On Sat, 2011-02-19 at 08:59 -0500, John Baer wrote:
> As I am not aware I have prevented anyone from doing as they wish -
> what
> changes?

It's true, you do support and encourage anarchy. You don't prevent
people from being individuals; instead you prevent them being a team.
And that is the crux of the problem John, I'd dearly love you to be a
part of the team, but your actions have shown that you are duplicitous
and untrustworthy when it comes to forming social bonds.

> My desire has always been to encourage participation. If a member
> desires to
> assume leadership start being a leader as there is no value in the
> assigning
> of blame and the complaining of what could have been.

As we know from the CoC, taking leadership is about being decisive and
considerate of everyone. This position requires the most amazing social
skills in order to listen and understand all people, even people that
don't personally agree.

Taking leadership by doing random things in random ways without talking
to anyone isn't leadership. It's awesome for an individual, but it's
unhealthy for a team when those things conflict with other team members;
where your resolution is based on ignoring and continuing to
misrepresent.

> If I am truly the problem teach me and help me understand how I can do
> better. Find the love as I assume members participate to add value to
> Ubuntu
> and the greater community. There is no value in a "rant" or "flame".

The first aim would be to agree that you are not the Ubuntu ArtWork
Team, you don't represent the collected views of the team and are not
good at forming a consensus.

If you want to do something under the banner of the ArtWork Team, you
would contact the leadership and consult prior to action. This way you
can give a full account and at least some dialectic can take place.

Of course you're free to do anything you like outside of the Ubuntu
ArtWork Team banner, just use your own name and make it clear that no
authority has sanctioned you or even agreed that what you're doing is
sane.

Misuse of the ArtWork Teams name is the up-most important issue for you
to take care of. You are not the leader and do not speak on behalf of
the team, the team is not anarchistic and even if the people _are_
autonomous; the team name must not be free for all chaos and you must
not use it without permission.

> If the driver for all of this is the Flickr group "General
> Illustrations" (
> http://www.flickr.com/groups/uawt-10-0/pool/ ), what is the problem?

You did it without asking and then said it was official. Causing chaos
and mistrust.

> >From where I sit it seems to be working and adding value.

You are adding one mans value while destroying the entire team. That's
not productive in the grand scheme of things. Your chaos is locally
productive and globally disruptive.

> If this is going to be a problem I am sure ***Iain
> would have contacted me long ago.

I'm not sure why you think he would know, or care to check that people
were being directed to submit art to random places online with the
mistaken promise that they would be judged.

> I firmly believe Ubuntu and the greater community will
> appreciate the love.

Please, consider taking a year or two break. Enough time for us to get a
team leadership founded and the technical roots growing. Then we can
take your submissions and enthusiasm and not have it wilt the social
foundations before they've had time to set.

Best Regards, Martin Owens