On 07/02/2008, Peter Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> G'day to the Australian UBUNTU e-list,
>
> Great news. Yesterday I purchased a new HP Photosmart C4280 Printer,
> Scanner, Copier for $90.00 from Dick Smith. I am using Linux UBUNTU
> 'Gutsy Gibbon' -- and when I booted up the computer and switched on
> the printer, I went to the menu System / Admin / Printing I was
> surprised to find that Ubuntu had autodetected and installed the
> correct printer driver for the HP 4200 Series. I printed a test page
> and it worked perfectly!!! I then tested the scanner with menu
> Applications / Graphics / Xsane Image Scanner -- and I scanned a
> postcard sized photo perfectly. Actually the photo was scanned with
> extra white space around the image... it needs to be cropped (from A4
> size to postcard size).

Good to read that you got your new HP printer/scanner and that everything
works in Ubuntu.

Can anyone please point me to an online or downloadable The GIMP
> tutorial ?!? Please paste URL for a tutorial if you know of one.

There should be a tutorial under GIMP Help.  Here is another:
http://docs.gimp.org/en/
...and yet another:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/grokking-the-gimp-download-a-free-book.html

Cheers