On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Gabriel Noronha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 18:32 +1100, Les Gray wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 07.02.2008, 16:45 +1100 schrieb Gabriel Noronha:
> > > Aside question since every 2nd new motherboard these days ships with
> > > "RAID" why is it so hard to set it up on Ubuntu.

This is not hardware RAID at all, it's just cheap software RAID on a chip. The
RAID logic is passed onto a proprietary driver that runs off you CPU. Why
anyone would trust their data to a cheap proprietary piece of kit is beyond
me.

> > You don't have to use the RAID if you don't want to. I have 2 SATA disks
> > in my desktop and I just disabled the RAID ROM in the BIOS. The disks
> > just run as 2 separate, 'ordinary' SATA drives.
>
> I Installed my raid system it works very happy with it
>
> i also wrote https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID
> since there was nothing in the wiki.

The answer to what I wrote above is Linux Software RAID, as Gabriel's HOWTO
explains. It's tried and proven, has good recovery tools, and doesn't keep
your data dependent upon a proprietary hardware/driver combination.

--
"If you set a man by a fire, you keep him warm all day, but set a man on fire
and you keep him warm the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett