> Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 09:27:12 +1000
> From: David Ryder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Mounting a drive - not using fstab or root
>
> Hi,
> HARDY
> I have a drive which at various times in the day and week, I want to
> mount/umount, via cron and a script, in ?/media or another
> folder /media/this-drive-folder/. Because I want to use different
> folders at different mount times (for valid business reasons) the drive
> can not be in fstab, as I understand it, because then I would not have
> the choice of which folder to mount it in.
>
> But - mount wants root only to mount. I think users can mount fstab
> drives if noauto, user (or suid using sudoers?) are used but that does
> not overcome my mount location needs.
>
> So, the crux of all this is, is it possible to mount an ntfs drive that
> is not in fstab, as a user in a script, without needing sudo?
>
> Thanks,
> David

Hi David,
                The only way I know to do what you're trying to do is to
add a line in /etc/sudoers for the user that will be mounting the drive.
Using the command - sudo visudo - in a terminal you can add the line -
[username] ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/mount, /bin/umount
where [username] is the users' login name. The user will need admin
rights and you will still need to have sudo mount in you're script but
it won't ask for a password.
    Hope it helps.
    Paul