Thanks Dan, I understand now.
I might pass those options through fstab. The best thing for me to do is to format the the drive to EXT3 I have found a couple of programs that allow you to access EXT3 partitions within Windows XP (check out the link below). I understand that Windows XP understand the POSIX system but I'm under Ubuntu a whole lot more.
http://www.howtoforge.com/access-linux-partitions-from-windows

Liam