2008/7/4 The Wassermans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 21:38 +1000, Null Ack wrote:
>> Are you running your monitor at its native resolution in Ubuntu?
>
> Sorry Null,  I have a jargon problem.  What does "native" resolution
> mean in this context?
>
> The GUI offers a selection of from 1680x1050 to 720x400.  Upon
> installation Ubuntu defaulted to 1680x1050.  That's what I'm using.
>
> Regards
> Dave W

Dave, LCD monitors have a "native" resolution that works well. Unlike
a CRT, when other non native resolutions are displayed on the monitor,
the pixels have to be lit in a way that causes the sharpness to drop
due to the way that LCD works. The first place I would explore with
this is to identify the native resolution of your particular LCD and
ensure you are using that before looking at other causes.

Cheers