Daniel Mons wrote:
Cary Bielenberg wrote:
I guess the main problem from my perspective is documentation & "spit & polish" of Xen & KVM makes it hard if you only administer 10 odd machines, It's ok if you eat sleep & breath these apps but to the sysadmins who have to multi skill it is almost prohibitive to setup. What I'm trying to say is Vmware is bundled so that it is easy to implement! I want to use open source solutions & am sceptical of commercial companies who have "free" & commercial offerings. I want to try the alternatives but to say the least KVM is a pig to implement considering *buntu has made this the default. I googled for how to's but there was a fair bit of ambiguity & confusion in the implementation.

I'm struggling to understand why you consider it "a pig" to use these things.

Virt-install and virt-manager make installing VMs about as easy as falling off a log. And if you insist on pretty pictures, OVirt is for you:
http://www.ovirt.org/

If you only need desktop virtualisation (not server side stuff), then use something more purpose-fit like VirtualBox (also free):
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Screenshots

Honestly, if the only thing holding you to VMWare is a pretty GUI, get out there and check out the competition. VMWare is fast becoming redundant due to their technology rapidly becoming commoditised.

ArsTechnica have a marvellous write up on the situation:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080711-a-victim-of-its-own-success-troubled-times-ahead-for-vmware.html

VMWare's glory days are long gone, and they face stiff competition from a rising number of free competitors. Even if you live and breathe VMWare, my suggestion to you is to at least learn an alternative before VMWare vanish for good. :)

-Dan

My references to it being a pig to install is borne out of frustration, I didn't articulate my feelings well! What I was trying to say is that unless you are dedicated to learning the intricacies of the software it is a struggle to grasp & install. I have about 25 servers to install & maintain & because virtualization is not my core duties it is easy to install a more intuitive app like Vmware. That does not mean that I think it is better, but because I can get it to work it triumphs on my network :-( I will use a open source alternative an day of the week If I can get it to work & get comfortable with the app.

Cary