Thanks Hew,
Wouldn't it be better if they reverted to being closed - if so, how can
one do that apart from complicated rules for mail, firefox etc?

The reason I asked originally was because whenever I close Azureus, when
I next open it the port I was using is no longer available.

Can I write a script that would run to reset the port when Azureus is
re-opened, thus making it available again? I'm not savvy on port
opening/closing despite having tried to find info on it.

Many thanks,
David