Dean and Margaret Kilsby wrote:
> Hi For the last two days I have busted my head trying to get Ubuntu to
> dial up the internet. Ok I am old and not up to these things but I
> have tried all that I can think of PLEASE help
> Deani
Hi Dean,
If you are using Dial up, and have an External Serial modem,  if you
have an external usb modem it must be
ACM compatible, or it may be a Winmodem, you will need the drivers for
Linux.

open a terminal  "Applications menu"  > "Accessories"  >  "Terminal

Type sudo pppconfig  . press enter and  type in your password
Fill in your details.  Do not put anything in "Provider" slot

When finished Click on "Write files" and then Quit this utility.

Open  a Terminal and type  pon to connect    poff to disconnect

Hope this helps.
take Care
Winton