Hi Rob,

The alternate installer you can specify where you put your /home, i have
not used the live cd for a while so I am not sure. Even if it does not
detect that partition it can be added later.

One thing I would suggest is to record the list of programs you have
running and install them on the new install, do this by running:
dpkg --get-selections  > /home/user/packages

Once you have reinstalled ubuntu run:
dpkg --set-selections < /home/user/packages
This will mark them all for selection and just run aptitude to install
the same set of applications that you had before.

One program I would install once you have finished reinstalling is
etckeeper. etckeeper is a tool that automatically stores changes to
your /etc config files in version control such as bzr in case you mess
up a config for a program.