Hi Dave,

Well CTRL+ALT+Backspace is only for restarting your X server! (except in
Jaunty requires dontzap to be installed to re-enable) I'm not 100%
familiar with the model printer that you have, but I'm assuming its a
entry level laser-jet. Do you connect this by USB? if so, you may find
that by removing the USB cable from it for 5-10 seconds then plugging it
back in that it "may" resume as it should. although I have just searched
the Ubuntu forums and there seems to be quite a lot of mention about
this model printer and the confusion between HP-1005 & HP-P1005.

There is this link http://foo2xqx.rkkda.com/ but if you are not
comfortable with any of this then "DON'T" attempt this! I normally
wouldn't suggest this type of fix as it could leave you with a broken
Ubuntu, hence it is usually best for you to stick with what's in the
Ubuntu repositories as they are known to work! (but not always!) and you
have a lesser chance of complete system failure.

Another thing to try, to confirm that your printer is picked up would be
to start the PC without the printer attached, then once booted & logged
in, plug the printer in and in a terminal type "lsusb" (without quotes!)
and see if the printer is in the listing (similar to below)

Bus 001 Device 011: ID 03f0:6c11 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 03f0:3404 Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 6122

This way you will know if the printer is being detected and would lead
to an issue with either HPLIP or CUPS.

Scott Evans VK7HSE
Phone: +61362291658
Mobile: +61417586157
Skype: vk7hse
sc...@vk7hse.hobby-site.org
http://www.vk7hse.hobby-site.org
PGP/GPG Key ID 6949D271

If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This
immediately
by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail
from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified
that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the
contents of this information is strictly prohibited.