Hi Michael,

Two problems.. firstly, in the BIOS, make sure that the hard drive is
listed as one of the devices to boot from.

Secondly.. You can also check the BIOS to see if 'embeded LAN
interface' is enabled.

This won't help immediately, but will give us some more information..
>From the command line.. can you please save the input from the
'lspci' command and post it to the list.. it will tell us what
ethernet device the
kernel. (A USB stick might help getting the file off.)

  lspci > lspci-data.txt

Then copy the file lspci-data.txt, and email it here.

Cheers,
Paul