I am going to top post as I don't think there is much point in going
through your response point by point.

For the record I don't really care if this happens or not, I won't use
it.  At the same time I want to put some effort into making sure if it
does go ahead it is done in a way which is useful for the community,
doesn't fragment things and minimises the effort involved in supporting
it.

Lets review what is being proposed.

Brad? (Bronze?) has offered to setup and host a forum.

The forum will interface with the mailing list/s - I would suggest this
list, ubuntu users, kubuntu users and maybe one or 2 other _user_ lists.
Developer lists should not be added to the forum.

Anything from the lists ends up on the forum and vise versa.  It is just
like gmane or google groups - except that FUDForum or some other FOSS
platform will be used, so it is actually better than the 2 proprietary
web applications you have proposed.  I have never suggested using
vBulletin - or any other proprietary platform.

We keep all the benefits of the current setup _and_ we _add_ another
interface to the lists, which lowers the barrier to entry for people who
are new the free software world.

Given the above I am at a loss as to why you are so hostile to this
proposal.  I have used this type of setup in the past and found it be
the most successful way to run a "forum".  No one is suggesting you have
to change any thing or do any thing differently to how you do it now.

I would suggest Brad and anyone else who wants to set this thing up
should do it and we can see how it goes.  If it doesn't work out, so be
it, it isn't like it is days of work involved in setting it up.

Cheers

Dave