Dear Peter,

some years ago I moved from Europe to Australia. In Europe we had within
the community I was living, people living next door who could help in
setup issues. As far as I understand the Linux community here in
Australia is still very young and Linux as an OS not very popular yet.
Because of the distances it's even more difficult to find together, but
it will come.

Each system offers advantages and disadvantages and we should leave it
to the individual with its individual preferences. I like my Ubuntu 8.04
and the rest of the family which is also quite happy in using either
Ubuntu or Edubuntu, We had some issues, switching from XP to Suse Linux
and than later to Ubuntu but they are all solved. All of us are now
working on very stable systems either in the business, for hobby or
school.

In regard to the editing programs have a look on GIMP for photo
editing,, and F-Spot for photo management, if you didn't had a look at
it before. KINO or/and AVidemux for video editing are very good so far
and meet my needs for video editing. The classical genealogy program in
Linux is Gramps, I use Gramps and GenealogyJ.

Regards
Ferdinand