Matthew Hannigan wrote:
> I'd use the -a option to cp rather than dd.
> dd preservies/copies far more than you want or need, and requires
> you to resize afterwards.
>
> So..
>

>     cd source && cp -a . destination

I have to say i agree with the other guys - cp is not the best option
for filesystem backup/restore/migration.  A block-level copy like dd,
clonezilla, etc. is a much better option.

The best option of all, in my opinion, is to use a volume manager like
LVM.  When i move my laptop to a larger hard disk, i'll just put the new
hard disk in a caddy, move the volume group using LVM's pvmove, then
reboot with the new hard disk inside.

Paul