2009/12/24 Christopher Lees <christopher_l...@iprimus.com.au>:
> On Thu, 2009-12-24 at 12:00 +0000, Derek Smith wrote:
> Ubuntu 9.10 has known problems with certain wireless modems...
> unfortunately. Reliability problems. I mean, these modems are not worth
> anything near the $130 you pay for them and they're always unreliable in
> moderate signal areas, but Ubuntu 9.10 will sometimes take a couple of
> tries to connect.

I live in Rural area and only have access the the internet with 3G
wireless. I have noticed that Network Manager takes a lot of tries to
connect, I have moved to using wvdial and it connects first time every
time, and I have also set it up to dial on demand for me as I run VoIP
cause not want the bill of a home phone. My local mobile tower to me
is ~20Km away for Optus, but I am connected with Internode. So this
might be another avenue for you to try. A breif guide to setting up
wvdial I wrote can be found here[1]

> Some people report success with upgrading the kernel using the debs
> available at the Ubuntu kernel PPA (lost the URL sorry, Google might
> help) but I've yet to give that a good workout on my netbook.

The Ubuntu Kernel stuff can be found here[2]

Regards
Dale

[1] http://quail.southernvaleslug.org/webblog/archives/136
[2] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
--
[WWW] http://quail.southernvaleslug.org/
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level