In my experience it would be unusual for any of the application
folders under your home folder not to be platform independent, unless
they were dealing with something execuitable. Most of the time it is
the same code in - in this case - Thunderbird that reads the config
files both on 32 and 64bit, just compiled for a different CPU.

Although I do not use Thunderbird, I do keep my home folder on a
separate partition and have moved between 32 and 64bit Ubuntu a couple
of times over the last couple of years without thinking twice about
weather everything in my home folder will be compatible. 'It just
works'.

Enjoy the freedom,
Karl