On 7 March 2010 15:53, Melissa Draper <meli...@meldraweb.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 12:36 +1100, Scott Evans wrote:
>> On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 09:37 +1100, peter baker wrote:
>> > hey guys
>
> And gals, please :P

I think he meant it in the unisex sense, which when used as a
collective noun is quite socially acceptable these days. Is there a
better single word to use in this context?

> We also used to partake in a lot more events, but the past few years
> with the economic climate has seen various things simply not happen, or
> not be granted sufficient attention. Events such as OpenCEBIT and the
> education expos didn't even take place in 2009. We lacked representation
> at LCA2009 because a lot of the team just couldn't make it to Hobart
> (thanks, GFC!), and LCA2010 was in NZ instead of AU. Many people also
> just haven't had the time to contribute due to increased burdens at work
> in part thanks to the global economic situation driving understaffing up
> and making sure one works extra hard to hold their job.
>
> 2008 was much better. There was a demo booth at LCA2008 and we liased
> with Linux Australia to demo and distribute CDs at OpenCEBIT and the
> (sydney) education expo. Those are just the ones I know of due to being
> directly involved, but I'm aware that there were some SA events, not
> sure about Vic events. Now that the worst of the economic crisis is over
> and things like the education expos are going to be run again, we should
> be able to pitch a return to this sort of activity.

Please give some credit to SLUG as well here. While it was Linux
Australia to bankrolled the booths, it was mostly SLUG participants
who manned (/womaned?) it.

+1 to all of your other points.

--
Bring choice back to your computer.