On 24/06/10 23:21, Peter Goggin wrote:

My Linux system has developed a problem. It boots to the login stage but is very unresponsive. Eventually it completes the login but remains unresponsive. The disk activity light remains on and the system remains very sluggish. Is this a disk problem or is it a corrupt software problem? If I replace the disk with a new disk and reinstall Ubuntu is it possible to extract the mail information from the old disk, assuming it can be read?

Why not get your mail info off the disc now, and not wait? Can you use a USB flash disc on the system? If so, format it to be ext3 and then copy over - using, say, mc (midnight commander) - your mail sub-directory, and anything else you may want (if the flash is big enough of course). Or if you can use USB but don't have a flash disc then can you get hold of an external USB HD and transfer the data to that?

Re the reason for the sluggishness: hard to say what it could be. Do you have smartmontools installed? This should tell you if you HD has started to get the lurgie.

BC

--
Paranoia is simply an optimistic outlook on life.