On 03/11/2010 23:16, David Bowskill wrote:
> Thanks Basil
> I can't seem to find the previous correspondence (have searched back as
> far as May).
> There seems to be some very basic bug since according to fstab anyone
> can mount the floppy - and it seems to partially achieve this.
> I'm sure some LINUX guru will see this as a challenge and come up with
> the answer.
> Cheers
> David
>
> On 03/11/10 20:32, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 03/11/2010 18:58, David Bowskill wrote:
>>

>>> Hello All
>>> I was cleaning up when I came across some old floppies with stuff I
>>> wished to read.
>>>
>>> Ubuntu 10.04 would not mount the floppy although the drive light cam on
>>> for a short while and the drive 'clicked'.
>>>
>>> The file /etc/fstab includes the following entry:
>>>
>>> /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8
>>> 0       0
>>>
>>> when issuing the command:
>>>
>>>           mount /dev/fd0
>>>
>>> the drive clicks and the terminal reports :-
>>>
>>>       mount: block device /dev/fd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
>>>
>>> Then examining the file  /etc/mtab, it shows no entry for the floppy.
>>>
>>> Issuing the command umount /etc/fd0 the terminal reports:-
>>>
>>>       umount: /dev/fd0 is not mounted (according to mtab)
>>>
>>> I cannot read the floppy - it is not mounted although it was reported as
>>> being so.
>>>
>>> Any ideas ??
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> David
>>>

>> Yes. A known problem but there is a solution. Can't remember what it is
>> but there was a discussion on this in Ubuntu which I started at the end
>> of September. You can either check the archives, or check Launchpad or
>> wait (and remind me! :-) ) to find what I wrote at the time.
>>
>> The bottom line to all this is that none of the devs use computers with
>> floppy drives and so they cannot produce the answer - nor really care
>> because nobody is supposed to have computers which use floppies anymore
>> :-( - but there IS an answer; I needed to boot the system using a floppy
>> and started the thread beginning with, "WTF?! NO floppy in Lucid or in
>> Meerkat". The "fix" is reasonably easy, and my floppy drive now is
>> functional.
>>
>> BC

And so, after 7 days what is the result of the advice (chapter and
verse) I provided?

Did I waste my time - which means that in the future I will be more
circumspect about wasting my time providing assistance - or did you get
the floppy working but simply forgot to tell everybody about the fact?

BC

--
"Will the highways of the internet become more few?"
      George W Bush