Hi Tom,

It's going to take a bit more information to get to the bottom of your
problem.

On 09/12/10 17:43, Tom Sparks wrote:
> I have an issue with my bigpond router

Which make & model is it?

> the following happens when I lest expected it (it could be days or
> weeks after I confirmed it working)
>
> * the mythtv stops updating it's TV guide
> * the dynamic dns server dose not get update with the IP address
> changes and my free account get deleted if it is not upadted within 30
> days

As Scott suggested, using ddclient from the mythtv system is a more
reliable, more debuggable solution.  DynDNS.com always recommend
software clients over router-based clients.

> * my external web/ssh access failed to get forwarded to the mythtv
> (times out)

One possibility is that you're getting attacked by ssh brute-forcing
worms (which try to crack user names & passwords by repeated guesses),
and the router is simply blocking the port/IP after a certain number of
attempts.  Rather than turning off the anti-DDoS feature in the router,
suggested workaround is to a) forward a different port to the ssh port
of the internal machine and b) use public key authentication only.

> I have mythtv computer connected to a bigpond wireless router via the
> ethernet cable (though it could be the WIFI network WPA timing out)

Check /var/log/syslog on the mythtv system to see if there are wifi
disconnects.  There could be wireless problems due to channel
interference.  I know a lot of bad router firmware selects a random 2.4
GHz channel rather than limiting itself to one of the non-overlapping
ones (1, 6, 11).  My neighbourhood is so crowded with badly-configured
2.4 GHz wifi that i bought myself a dual-band router (Netgear WNDR3700)
so that i could guarantee a band free of interference.  (5 GHz has 23
non-overlapping channels.)

> ever time I conect to the network with a laptop, I can access the
> internet, access the mythtv web interface, rsync the video to my laptop
> I leave with everything working.....
>
> tom_a_sparks
> "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"
> PS: I have give up with bigponds tech support

You and everyone else in the known universe.  :-)     Unless there is no
other option, i always disrecommend Bigpond.

> PSS: I have no access to the router as it is in a different state

If that is the case, it would be advisable to set up a VPN (i use
OpenVPN) or an ssh port forward which would allow you to get to the
router's internal interface securely via your external connection.

Hope this has given you some ideas.

Regards,
Paul