On 16 April 2011 10:52, danyJ <danyj...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 08:13:31 +0930
> MoLE <moleonthehill+ubuntu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Unity still won't work on my older laptop. :(
>>
> Unity needs 3D acceleration graphic support.  On older laptop(hardware) you
> can install Unity2D as a separate
> install from synaptic (or apt-get) - It may not have the same level of
> customisability, but its ok, as far as
> Unity is concerned, but I still am not *yet* a fan of Unity.  I will however
> give it a serious go when it is
> out, as I am open to forward conversion! (as a general philosophy in life!! :)

Interesting that on my laptop, I've not had any trouble running compiz
in any form previously (see my previous post) and my hardware would
appear to be more than capable of handling what unity is supposed to
be doing.

My google-fu must be failing me, but I've been unable to find a list
of "supported 3d chipsets" for Unity listed anywhere.

It seems that in Natty, unity 2d isn't the automatic fallback from
Unity for non-capable hardware - I just get dumped into classic Gnome
without any explanation.  Does one need to manually install unity-2d
if unity3d fails?

I have filed a bug on this in launchpad.  If anyone experiences the
same issue, please have a look.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/758747

If anyone has seen a list of unity-supported hardware, then I'd
appreciate a link.

Cheers,

MoLE