Hi Geoffrey,

There are a number of Python editors available. I started out using IDLE, which is the "official" IDE for Python. It offers syntax highlighting and formatting, as well as an integrated debugger and Python shell. I find it very easy to use, but I think it is more suited for simple projects that do not have a large number of files. Also, instead of running Python in Terminal, I find it easier to use the IDLE Python shell, as it offers syntax highlighting and shows code suggestions.

For large projects, I would recommend using another IDE. Recently I have been using Eclipse with the Pydev extension. While it takes a bit more setting up, I find it much better for larger projects, as it has more of the features I was used to (file pane, code outline, etc) from my web development. I haven't tried SPE, but I think it looks like it would be similar to Eclipse, obviously with more of an emphasis on Python.

I hope that helps you out a bit.
Joel