On 31/05/11 21:03, Joel Addison wrote:
I have added an item to the agenda for the next meeting on June 10 for
us to discuss social media use. For those who cannot attend the meeting,
please send through your thoughts to the list so they can be raised at
the meeting.

I won't likely make the meeting, so here are my thoughts:
  • You don't really need to justify using social media - it's a question of how, not whether.  When so much news & information happens through them nowadays, it's irresponsible not to use it if you want to get a message out.
  • You can set up Twitter to feed from identi.ca so that you don't have to send the message twice.  Even @user and #hashtag mentions come across OK - although i haven't run into a situation yet where i mention a person how owns an identi.ca account and someone else owns the twitter account of the same name (except for me - i'm paulgear on identi.ca and paulgear1 on Twitter).
  • Don't tweet too often - any more than once or twice a day is too much.  Keep it slow & steady.  Give tweets time to percolate through the twittersphere.
  • I personally don't look at Facebook very much for technical stuff.  I prefer to keep FB for social stuff and Twitter/identi.ca for technical stuff.  But that seems to be just me, mostly.  Lots of people tweet about inanities.
  • Why would you wait for a meeting to get started? Go for it!
Paul
--
Sent from my ThinkPad, powered by Linux