----- Original Message ----

From: Geoff <geoff.war...@optusnet.com.au>
To: ubuntu-au@lists.ubuntu.com
Sent: Sun, 31 July, 2011 12:52:14 PM
Subject: memory

Hi there,
Can anyone recommend a system memory manager/tweaker program?
Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

The layered architecture of the Linux system makes it close to impossible to
manipulate memory usage.  A program can request memory or release it, but
beyond
that the kernel controls what gets allocated, how it is released, and how it is
cleaned up.

To put it another way, above the hardware there is a memory manager which pools
all physical and virtual memory, and this resource is shared and controlled by
the memory manager.  All memory therefore looks like virtual memory beyond this
point, including (especially!) for programs in user space.  Any data you can
get
from the system about memory usage therefore deals with this "virtual" memory
space.

It's possible to reserve some physical memory so that the memory manager and
the
kernel cannot use it (with badram), but that would mean that it would not be
available to user space or kernel space at all.  The purpose of badram is so
that you can tell the system to not use damaged parts of a memory array - very
nifty.

I like to use Gkrellm to monitor my system generally and top can give useful
information about more specific memory usage amongst other things.

What did you actually want to be able to do?

Chris.