On 18/07/12 22:01, Rob Dawson wrote:> I can't say why its hanging but I tried it on my 12.04 (64bit) machine
> and it took a fair while to open in Evince - >60 seconds.  It opened
> instantly in Firefox (using the Adobe plugin) and also instantly in
> Acrobat Reader.  I always install AR on my new installs and make it the
> default for pdfs just to get all it's 'bells and whistles' but as a
> troubleshooting exercise you might want to install AR and try opening it
> with that so you can eliminate either of the document or the application
> as the cause?

I think some of the tools for creating PDFs must create stuff outside of the "standard". I recently had one that wouldn't print at 2 to a page recently. I hadn't had one of those for a while so I suspect the last one was from the same source.

In the past I have used kpdf is an alternative when I've had issues.

I haven't installed any of the Adobe readers since I had one which installed too many "bells and whistles" and had become invasive.

--
                                                          Regards
                                                           ...Peter