G'day

I'm involved with QA & in particular a flavor, if my background is helpful.

You mention old hardware; I've used devices from 2003 and upwards in
the QA; though i386 devices were not used beyond 19.04 except for
respins of 18.04 (eg. 18.04.4 & 18.04.5)

> Last week I decided to move up from 18.04 and tried the online Upgrade option
> for the first time (instead of a clean install from a live disk). The upgrade
> to 20.04 LTS completed, but I had no internet connection. I googled this and
> saw info about something called Netplan

You didn't say if you're talking about a desktop system
(NetworkManager) or server system (Netplan). The mention of netplan
implies you're asking about a server system? but it could also be your
misunderstanding.  Desktop systems use NetworkManager still; but it's
best if you're specific & readers aren't having to guess.

> So yesterday I burnt the 22.04 LTS ISO onto a brand-new rewritable DVD and
> tried to do a clean install, held down F12 at start up, chose the optical
> drive, selected “Try or Install Ubuntu”

Here we get to potential problems... Changes were made starting with
20.10 that can have negative consequences for those using optical
media (eg. DVD).  The optical media is designed for sequential
reading, but the media verification reads files on a file-by-file type
basis, and timeouts can occur with optical drives which can can
problems (failed to start issues; particularly with snap..) etc.
Reboot & re-try, and it may work the next time, as beyond being very
slow, it's somewhat problematic as it's hardware timeouts that cause
the issue/failures.

In my QA testing, I used some really old IBM Thinkpads that didn't
have working (bootable) USB ports; thus I'd download/write the ISO to
a drive partition, and use that instead of USB media (installing to
another part of the disk for example). Yes the laptops actually had
DVD drives; but it was far easier/faster/reliable to use hard-drive
over optical media. You might want to consider that instead of optical
media (I would and did!)

There is a bug report that will mitigate some of the issues with
optical/slow media but it's not yet available for 22.04 (it maybe
available using 22.04.1 media but unclear yet; that's still a month
away). But I'm warning you'll have complications with optical media as
it's not the intended installation media for Ubuntu releases beyond
20.04.

Some effort is made to ensure it works (why the bug I mentioned exists
& is being tracked or 22.04.1), but it's not high priority as almost
no users use optical media & development resources are limited.

You gave no details as to what hardware stack you were using for each
release; as Ubuntu 20.04 LTS if using a GA kernel stack uses 5.4 which
differs greatly to 22.04 (5.15), but if using 20.04 with HWE you'll be
using either 5.13 (20.04.4) or 5.15 (20.04.5 that's rolling out ~now
so if fully upgraded you maybe using 22.04's kernel stack already on
20.04). You may find using alternate kernel stack (easy) helps, though
as 22.04 is still ~young, both GA & HWE are on the same stack so no
choices there exist yet.

On older devices in QA; I found the kernel stacks made a big
difference; and as both stacks can co-exist on the same device (unless
certain closed-source kernel modules are being used; aka video
drivers) they were an easy fix for some users who had issues & sought
support (eg. 18.04 with HWE uses the same kernel stack as found with
20.04 using the GA stack.. thus if it works with 18.04+HWE, I'd expect
no issues with 20.04+GA)

Installations using optical media are for sure possible; they just
aren't easy & multiple attempts maybe required before it works; at
least that's what was found in QA; also they're very slow (esp. beyond
20.10 as already stated).  I suggest avoiding using optical media for
installs if you can.

Chris g.