So, i held my breath and went to try it. It complained about not having
gaim's dependency pidgin in the repos (turns out dk.archive.ubuntu.com
isn't quite up-to-date with gutsy). Then when i changed it to use a
different mirror that had it, it said the same. So i tried to install
pidgin directly (without the -y flag, to see what it offered first), but
it gave me a huge load of dependencies that it wanted to install but
couldn't. So much for that idea. Sorry for taking your time with a
stupid attempt, but i guess some people might learn from it.

--
Backport Pidgin 2.0.0 Final to Fiesty
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/112511