To ease testing, I put rsync 3 for hardy in our PPA. Its available there
for anyone who wishes to grab it

That being said, I'm concerned about backporting rsync since it means
that if you have backports enabled, it might break rsync against non-
backport enabled hardy boxes. If we could have both packages installed
side by side (or at least, have it so that it a seperate source package
(i.e. rsync3), it might be a safer alternative.

--
please backport rsync 3 from Intrepid to Hardy
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/257211