The specific versioned dependency for openssl is generated when the
package is built. Since we rebuild packages when we backport them, znc
would be built against the correct version of openssl.

However, we only backport packages that are already in the Ubuntu
archive. Since version 0.096 is not yet available, we can't backport it
currently. However, you're welcome to file a separate bug against the
znc package in Ubuntu requesting that upgrade.

In the mean time, I'm going to reformat this bug slightly to reflect the
version tweak, etc.

** Summary changed:

- Please backport ZNC 0.096 to Lucid
+ Please backport znc 0.096 from Maverick to Lucid

Backporters, which is subscribed to lucid-backports.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/689064

Title:
  Please backport znc 0.096 from Maverick to Lucid