I managed to get as far as the attached diff for a Natty SRU. It
includes a rather gross hack to work around the lack of
Text.Show.ByteString, but it still doesn't compile. It blows up fairly
quickly with the following:

[11 of 22] Compiling ClientIO         (
gnu/gameServer/ClientIO.o )

/«PKGBUILDDIR»/gameServer/ClientIO.hs:25:17:
    Not in scope: `state'
make[3]: *** [bin/hedgewars-server] Error 1

I never really grasped Monadic Haskell, so I'm at the mercy of others to
figure out what's happening there.

** Patch added: "hedgewars_0.9.17-1~natty0.1.debdiff"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hedgewars/+bug/852603/+attachment/2604930/+files/hedgewars_0.9.17-1%7Enatty0.1.debdiff

Backporters, which is the registrant for Oneiric Backports.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/852603

Title:
  hedgewars << 0.9.17 can not engage in network play with current
  release